Sunday, May 19, 2019

RTS_16 "Player UI & Limiting Units"

Most information relevant to the game such as current resources and being able to go to the next turn has been handled inside the editor. But I think it's important to start moving that stuff out on to the screen for the final product.

This was much harder than I had anticipated. For starters, I have continuously stated that I want my UI to be minimalistic so it was pretty hard determining what the minimum amount of necessary information to display was. Ultimately I decided on only displaying the player's resources since I think that's all the player needs to know at a quick glance.



Here's what it looks like with the city screen open:



Besides the UI, there is a small balancing update that I wanted to make. It occurred to me while testing that someone could very easily set up a city so large that they produced multiple military units per turn. Other games such as Sid Meier's Civilization V get around this by making so you can only build 1 thing at a time per city such as if you're building a unit or constructing a building. I've decided to balance this by limiting the number of units you can have in queue to 2. This means that at any given moment a city can be producing 2 units & constructing 2 buildings.

This may seem a bit arbitrary, but I think it's important for balancing. I'm perfectly fine with a player spawning multiple troops per turn, however, when it gets to the point of spam is when it can break the game and make it no longer fun. So 2 units being made simultaneously per city it is.

Thanks to this update being so short, I'll have time to write more updates in-advance! So things should be back to their 2~3 feature/thing per update schedule!

Sincerely,
Blake Gillman

No comments:

Post a Comment