Friday, May 10, 2019

RTS_14 "River Edges, New Farm Visual & Beaches"

As part of my quest to continue to add detail to the map I felt that rivers were a bit flat, so I decided to add edging to them:



I think this helps make the map look a bit more 3D. Since this only modified the ridges and didn't add anything means that this won't impact performance whatsoever while still looking much better.

But why let just rivers get a visual overhaul? As my friend wisely pointed out it would look better if farms didn't fade but were rather more a part of the map. I agreed, and so I reworked the farm visual:



The texture doesn't quite take up the whole tile anymore but this was intentional to add more realism to it. I've also added several 3D objects to add to the detail of it. Overall, I like it more than the previous visual but I'll likely change it again in the future.

Now, this next update I had always intended to do but I actually didn't know how I wanted to approach it. But after developing the edges-only territory system I'll be using the same technique to render beaches!


Once again this adds a new 3D layer to the game and I love it. I also wanted to make sure there was some variety so if a land hex is bordering an ocean hex, instead of a beach it'll render a cliff side:


Once again the map is looking a whole lot better, and at some point, I think I want to do a post dedicated to my favorite seeds & locations, but for now, work continues!

Sincerely,
Blake Gillman

No comments:

Post a Comment