Monday, May 6, 2019

RTS_13 "Starving & Fixing Rivers"

I forgot to mention in the last update that I had modified the formula for city stability. The only modification was to food happiness which is now calculated like so:



This was because the last formula was a bit illogical for food happiness. It calculated based off of the food needed for your next population which didn't make much sense since happiness is derived from feeding your current population.

I had also forgotten to make so food is removed from your city every turn based on consumption (population x 2) so that now happens. The city also will automatically start with 10 turns worth of food in its stockpile.

Starving
So your people can starve now! Hooray! It wouldn't be much of a downside to ignore feeding your population if it didn't do anything, so the rule now is that every 4 turns that you don't have enough to feed your city you lose 1 population. I've considered making so that the city goes "deserted" so that you have to repopulate it if it starves entirely but then I'd have to create exceptions like for your capital so that you didn't lose the game if you starved at the beginning. So, for now, I've just made it so you can't go below 1 population.

Now, something that has been bugging me is as I get closer to the final look of the game I want to make sure that I have a good idea of how things are. That has been very hard with rivers because there are giant cracks next to them all the time that make it impossible to view the map in a way that lets me understand how the final product will look. So I finally decided to do something about it:



The reason I hadn't already done this was because I was completely confident that it would take upward of 4 or 5 hours to fix, which I absolutely dreaded having to work on something so tedious for so long when there was so much else I could be doing. But once I started working on it I was able to get it done in only about 30 minutes. Really glad that I did get it done, now the map is looking much more polished!

So all of that polishing is nice, but where are the new features?! Well, not in this update or the next! I really like working on the game's visuals and polishing it up so I'll likely be doing that in the next update as well.

I know this update was pretty small but at the time this will be published I'll have been out of state. And since I knew that I was going to be out of state I made sure to write whip up these updates in-advance so that you guys still had something to chew on while I was away!

Sincerely,
Blake Gillman

No comments:

Post a Comment