Wednesday, May 1, 2019

RTS_12 "Territory Rendering, Farm Visual & Resource Storage Buildings"

I had planned to work on unit spawning buildings but I noticed the farm visual in the last update looked a bit lonely. Not only was it hard to see because of how small it was, but it was hard to see because of the bright red territory around it.

So first, I wanted to work on how the territory looked. I had always planned to make territory only render the edges so it was only a matter of time until I got around to doing this:



This will remove your player's color from overlapping every tile you own (making so you get to see everything much more clearly now) while also still being able to clearly see which territory you own.

The territory also no longer renders underneath anything so that the borders of territory are always clearly visible over buildings or units or anything else.

Now making the farm building bigger for a cartoony look was an option, but I didn't like how it turned out, so an even better solution (and one which I probably should have thought of before) was to add farmland:



This also means that farms now take up 2 hex slots so a second building can't be built on the same hex as a farm. This makes it even more important to plan your city in advance.

The next thing I wanted to work on was unit spawning, but looking at farms made me realize I had forgotten one other thing. Food is stored inside of a city and isn't used outside of the city, but most other resources are such as wood or science. So I made so that the player can stockpile produced resources! However, the idea for balancing has been that the player can't do this to infinity.

So I've added a new building type: Resource Storage Building. All these buildings do is increase your max storage for each resource.

I want to say I'll work on unit spawning next, but we'll see how it goes.

Sincerely,
Blake Gillman

No comments:

Post a Comment