Wednesday, April 3, 2019

RTS_5 "Forests, Bridges, Cities"

In the last update, I updated the engine to a new polished look and so I thought I'd keep that train moving! First thing I wanted to work on was trees:


You'll also notice the map is brighter! 50% brighter to be exact. I think this increased look will help reduce the melancholy feeling that the map used to give off as well as exaggerate the colors for a more cartoony look.

Next up I wanted to work on bridges:



Unlike in Sid Meier's Civilization V rivers aren't between tiles but instead take up entire tiles. This means that units can't cross rivers without a bridge. This is now also reflected in pathfinding where units will avoid rivers entirely now.



As you can see the unit will only cross where there is a bridge, and if there's no bridge the unit won't be able to cross at all. I've also slightly changed the way the unit icon renders.

That's already a lot to take in, but I'm all about rapid progress so I've got even more up my sleeve! This first unit was a settler because I wanted to be able to work right away on: Cities!



Right now cities have a visual, a UI which displays their name, health, and defense, and claim the territory around them when they are placed. They don't do anything more than that at the moment, but it's a great start!

In the next update, I want to work on creating a worker unit, so we'll see how that goes!

Sincerely,
Blake Gillman

No comments:

Post a Comment