Sunday, April 7, 2019

RTS_6 "Workers, Buildings, New Terrain Feature & UI Improvements"

First of all, I noticed in the last update that trees were floating over shores, but I'm gonna go ahead and add that to the "So minor, I need to focus on other stuff" pile next to the cracks near rivers lol.


In the last update, I added bridges & trees which looked really nice but I made a very bad mistake in doing so. You see I added both as being a 'feature' of a tile, but that was silly because a bridge isn't a feature it's something someone has to build. So I've reworked the system so they are now separated, features include things like trees or if the tile is a hill, whereas buildings are additions to the tile that has to be built.

With that distinction, I've added bridges to the game but now as a building and not a feature. And what better way to test out this new improved system than by having our newest unit be a worker?



Right now bridges are treated like any other building (given a random position in the tile), but I'll eventually change that. It'd be reasonable to ask how this worker was able to build a bridge on a hex that it's incapable of going on. Well, that's because in this game workers can build hexes on the tiles around it, not just the ones they are on. I think this will add a new interesting aspect to building in general.

I've also added a new visual for the city & reduced the size of the city bubble above it:



Now, I really want to continue to polish and add detail to the map so I've added a new feature to the map: Ridges.




Not only will this help add visual detail to the map but it will also serve a good gameplay purpose. A ridge will give defensive buffs to units on them and also cost extra movement to move on to. This is how hills will also act (but on land) when I get around to adding them.

Next, I want to work on roads and maybe even adding in a military unit, we'll see!

Sincerely,
Blake Gillman

No comments:

Post a Comment