Sunday, March 31, 2019

RTS_4 "New Graphics, Units & Rivers"

It's been a little over a week and man have I been busy!

First of all, I completely reworked the way the engine looks visually. I want to start moving it away from that plain debug / testing look and move toward a more polished one:



I think it's looking pretty good. Gameplay has also gotten some major work as I finally have added units to the game. This took awhile due to pathfinding but my first test unit is a settler. Their icon displays the primary & secondary color of the player (Which is red & white for testing):


Here you can see some of that hot pathfinding action:


So everything is looking pretty good there. I can press next turn in the editor and the unit will indeed move along that path. I've also implemented checks so 2 military units can't occupy the same tile among other things.

So all of that took freaking forever to do, but I was downstate for awhile and had nothing but my laptop so I worked on this a lot, just waking up and working until I go to sleep.

But even with all of that, I'm still not finished. Like an absolute mad lad I've logged a good 80+ hours since the last update to bring you all this, and that includes: Rivers!


This was a lot harder than I had anticipated but it was also very rewarding to finish. As you can see the rendering position of the tiles is a bit glitchy creating cracks between them but after spending this long making this I think that's a bug I can let slide for now.


That's everything for this update. As you can see I've been logging some pretty heavy hours (10+ a day) to try and get you guys these updates. I'm also spacing the updates out a bit more so that they include more features. I plan on working on more map-related stuff like generating trees so expect that in the next update!

Sincerely,
Blake Gillman

No comments:

Post a Comment