Wednesday, March 20, 2019

RTS_2 - More map stuff

I've literally reprogrammed the map system 5 times because of various things. But it's now fully 3D and working. I've also made the tiles hex's now instead of squares:


That's a debug mode where I can see the coordinates of each hexagon. The reason this new map system took so long is that I'm now using a 3-axis system to track the position of each hexagon, which will let me perform math functions like pathfinding a lot easier.

Here's what it looks like outside of debug mode (and more zoomed out):


Because I'm using a 3D coordinate system to store the position of hex's it forms the shape of a rhombus instead of a rectangle or square. This works for now since it's better for testing the math, so making it square/rectangular is likely the last thing I'll ever do.

I had to reprogram it so many times because the 3D system was very hard to learn and adapt to but I've finally managed to pull it off. I'm working on units right now so expect that in the next update!

Sincerely,
Blake Gillman

No comments:

Post a Comment